Hiking on backcountry trails helps many people re-connect with nature and with places within themselves that get obscured in the daily hustle and bustle. A few days in the solitude of the trail re-grounds them and helps preserve their mental health.
For people battling mental illness, however, the path to mental health is rarely so simple. Mental illness affects 1 out of 4 families in the United States, leaving those who suffer from it and their families searching for answers, cures and treatments that will allow them to experience the simple joy of living.
The mission of HIKE for Mental Health is to
- Increase public awareness of the challenges and suffering faced by those afflicted by mental illness and their families.
- Increase public appreciation for and responsible use of wilderness trails.
- Raise funds, principally by coordinating fundraising wilderness hikes, for distribution to nonprofit organizations committed to (a) preventing and alleviating the pain caused by mental illness or (b) maintaining and preserving wilderness trails.
- Eighty percent to scientific research to prevent, cure, or treat mental illness and
- Twenty percent to help preserve wilderness trails.